Why You Should Drink More Darjeeling Tea?

Darjeeling tea occupies a place of pride for India and it is globally acclaimed as “The Champagne of Teas”. The aroma and taste of Darjeeling Tea is unparalleled in the world. There are a total of 87 tea estates in the hills that have been accorded the right to label its produce “ Darjeeling Tea” by the Tea Board of India. These estates cover over 17,500 hectares of land, produce over 9 million kg of tea per year and engage bout 50 percent the people of Darjeeling district.  Tea from Darjeeling has been savoured by connoisseurs all over the world.

So what’s so special about Darjeeling Tea and why is it so highly prized?

It is the only region in India that has over 40% Old China bush (Chesima) concentration, and the rest 60% has cloned AV 2 ( Ambari Vegatative) bushes. The region is blessed with cool weather, fresh Himalayan mountain air, rivulets, streams, moss and vegetation that is distinctively different from each estate. The tea produced from each estate has its own delectable flavour and aroma. Sipping Darjeeling Tea is comparable to sipping wine, each lot has a different taste.

What does it taste like?

It is exotic and mysterious like the hills. The nuance of difference is what marks Darjeeling Tea – from delicate vegetal, mossy, fruity, and citrus flavors to its prized muscatel which has -sweet tasting notes similar to muscat wine. The unique flavor of Darjeeling comes from its bushes and its intricate harvesting and processing.  It’s lighter and less astringent than most black tea, but more layered and complex than most greens. The region produces some of the finest White, Black, Oolong, Green and specialty teas.

True Darjeeling Tea possesses a flavour and quality, which sets it apart from other teas. As a result it has etched out a continued patronage of discerning consumers worldwide for more than a century.

Resource Link

Disclaimer : The views and information expressed in this article are the personal opinions of the authors and references. Elgin Hotels & Resorts do not take liability or any responsibility for the same.

Close Menu