You may have planned your vacation to Darjeeling and a tour of Sikkim, but make sure you add Kalimpong as well to your travel itinerary as Kalimpong is a place totally worth visiting.
1. A small town nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas, Kalimpong is an absolutely amazing treat for any nature lover, giving a stunning view of the snow-capped Himalayan mountains and Kanchenjunga. You can head to Deolo hill in Kalimpong and get completely mesmerized by the breath-taking view.
2. Being a part of the Neora Valley National Park, the forests around Kalimpong is also home to endangered species like the Red Panda, Himalayan Tahr, barking deer and is popular for the beautiful avifauna like the Himalayan woodpecker, flycatchers, pheasants and warblers.
3. The Darjeeling Himalayan region is really popular for its tea and Kalimpong contributes for about 5% of the totally tea production with tea gardens located in the western side of the Teesta. Kalimpong is also popular for its extensive production of ginger and oranges.
4. Visiting the cactus nursery in Kalimpong is an amazing experience, where you can see so many varieties of cactus plants at one place, maintained in a place located in such a high altitude.
5. Kalimpong is a hub for floriculture and really popular for its floriculture industry. There are various nurseries located in and around Kalimpong which is open for tourist view where you can see the various collections of beautiful and exotic flowers and floral plants.
6. One can take a ride to Durpin Dara or Durpin hill which is the highest point in Kalimpong and have the stunning view of Kalimpong town and also has a view great to take photographs.
7. Kalimpong is indeed a hiker’s paradise. There are lovely forests and villages surrounding Kalimpong, perfect to visit hiking.
8. If you want to buy souvenirs, Kalimpong is a perfect place and indeed a shopper’s paradise.
9. If you are an adventurous person, Kalimpong will never disappoint you. Not just hiking but Kalimpong is a great place to visit if you are seeking for some thrill whether be it paragliding, white-water river rafting, golfing, fishing or taking a long jungle camping.
10. A great place is even greater with great food and Kalimpong is amazing when it comes to food. There are lots of restaurants and street food stalls that would drive your taste buds crazy with the amazing momos, thukpas, chicken lollipops, cheese, etc.
11. Predominately populated by Nepalese in Kalimpong, you will come across a lot of ethic groups like Lepchas, Bhutias, Sherpas, Rais, Limbus, etc. You will also see a lot of non-native groups like Bengalis, Biharis, Tibetans and Chinese. All these groups make Kalimpong a hub for its beautiful ethnic and cultural diversity.