People of Sikkim are mostly the rice lovers. Meat and other dairy products are also consumed. Sikkim has its own unique specific cuisine and food recipes. Here food habits have evolved from experiments from generations after generations.
Major famous foods of Sikkim are –
1. Momo : Momo is a very popular Tibetan delicacy in Sikkim. It is prepared with ground/minced meat filling, but over the past several years, this has changed and the fillings have become more elaborate. It is available in most of the local restaurants.
2. Thukpa : Thukpa is a noodle soup having vegetables. It is readily available in most of the local restaurants.
3. Phanghapa : Phanghapa is a famous dish from Sikkim. Compared to other curries, it is not so spicy as the only spice used is chillies. It is lightly flavored, the radish and the pork made a wonderful combination and goes really well with just plain rice.
4. Sael Roti : Sael roti is a traditional home-made, sweet, ring-shaped rice bread/doughnut. It is mostly prepared during Tihar, a widely celebrated Hindu festival in Nepal. It is made of rice flour with adding customized flavors.
5. Niguru with Churpi : Niguru is a local fiddle head fern and its tendrils when light with churpi (cheese) forms an irresistible dish.
6. Gundruk : Gundruk are the types of leaves of mustard oil plant. These leaves are decayed for some days and then allow to dry in the Sun. To make this tasty dish, these leaves are then cooked with onions and tomatoes.
Disclaimer: The views and information expressed in this article are the personal opinions of the authors and references. Elgin Hotels & Resorts do not take liability or any responsibility for the same.